sign in a cave in Laos

4 October 2013

Gua Kajang graffiti, Lenggong, Perak

Gua Kajang is a short tunnel cave through the hill Bukit Kepala Gajah, at Lenggong in ulu Perak. My last blog about it was 2 years ago in Sept 2011.

Since then, the Lenggong Valley has been inscribed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It is now more than 1 year since the listing. Little has changed in the area. The main changes have been negative things such as graffiti, broken structures and lack of maintenance.

I went back to Gua Kajang in Sept 2013 and I was saddened to see fresh graffiti in the cave.



Some of the graffiti was quite high. Although I took the next 2 photos on my recent visit, when I checked my older photos I found this graffiti was there in 2012



There is a large piece of rock missing from the wall near the back door, I don't know if it is new, but I don't recall seeing it broken on previous visits -

The sign board in the pondok is broken and several tiles are missing from the roof -


This is the pondok when it was new in Aug 2012, just 1 year ago -



There were large clusters of butterflies in the entrance. Normally when they group like this they are after salts

 
 
This lack of maintenance is not, especially considering that the area is supposedly getting extra visitors now that it is a World Heritage Site.                                                                                 
 
                                                                                    
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment