sign in a cave in Laos

22 August 2008

Cavin in on Ebay, cave postcards - Star

THE STAR
L I F E S T Y L E
Living
Saturday January 20, 2007


Caving in

By YAP MIOW SEN


Can you believe that someone, somewhere in the world would avidly collect postcards of Malaysian caves, and that a postcard of Batu Caves taken in 1910 can fetch RM70?

Liz Price (pic), an avid speleologist (caving enthusiast), gets onto eBay once a week to trawl for such items.

“Caving is my passion. I’ve been collecting postcards of caves in Malaysia and actually found a few on eBay UK. I also collect postcards on tin mining as well as colonial Malaya,” says Liz, who resides in Kuala Lumpur.

Not only does Liz buy postcards on eBay, she sells them as well.

“I actually managed to sell a few postcards which I got free on board a flight. They sold for RM6-RM7 each.

“It’s amazing seeing what people will sell and buy online,” she says with a giggle.

“I saw a documentary once on a guy who picked up a discarded fishing boat rope on a beach and put it for sale as a joke. He actually managed to sell it! Most of the time, I sell more than I buy. It’s a convenient way to ‘recycle’ all my unwanted stuff.

“Some of the things I’ve sold so far are caving books, a watch, souvenirs from a Concorde flight, books from my childhood, an electric organ and a 1950s’ cocktail dress of my mum’s.”

“I haven’t made much money from my sales but then I’m not doing it as a business. The fun of being able to sell all the things I don’t need in my life anymore is a great feeling.”

No comments:

Post a Comment